Spekboom in a Tube
They're as easy to grow as 1... 2... 3!
Looking for an eco-friendly gift for your mother-in-law, best gal pal, or for a corporate or your hard-working employees? We'll have just the ticket... or should I say tube!
Our Spekboom in a Tube has been are fully rooted inside a peat pellet in your tubes for easy removal and replanting. From household pots, hanging plants to your garden, these water-wise superplants can grow literally anywhere! Just follow the simple step by step instructions on the tube and watch your spekboom grow, baby, GROW!
Our Spekbooms are homegrown and propagated at our Gogo's Garden in Gugulethu, so you will be contributing to employment and generating income for under-resourced communities, as well as helping us educate these communities on the importance of fighting climate change.
So give the gift that inspires change, growth and local pride. Give a Spekboom.
* If you wish to purchase a specific, larger number of spekboom Tubes, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the Benefits of Spekboom?
- Spekboom is extremely low maintenance and adaptable plant that will thrive in the hands of worthy recipients while respecting biodiversity.
- Spekboom helps to fight climate change and air pollution
- Spekboom acts like a carbon sponge to soak up carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which improves the quality of the air we breathe can absorb between four to ten tonnes of carbon per hectare
- Spekboom helps us move forward to a carbon-free world
- Spekboom stores solar energy to perform photosynthesis at night. This makes a Spekboom thicket 10 times more effective per hectare at carbon fixing than any tropical rainforest.
- Spekboom is edible for humans and wildlife
- The plant is nutrient-rich with an especially high Vitamin C content.
- Spekboom flowers are nectar-rich and provide food for many insects (endangered bees).
- Leaves can be used medically
- Sucking the leaves can quench thirst, treat exhaustion, dehydration and heatstroke
- One can crush the leaves to provide relief for blisters
- Chewing leaves can treat sore throat and mouth infections
- Juiced leaves can be used as an antiseptic and to soothe skin aliments (pimples, rashes, insect stings, sunburn)
- Breastfeeding mothers can eat the leaves to increase their milk supply
Spekboom for Climate Change
Spekboom for Climate Change is a Call 2 Care project with the vision of battling climate change, reducing carbon footprint and greening & educating communities.
Spekboom is a South African succulent with some incredible properties. It is an edible, resilient plant that even has certain medicinal benefits. However, the benefit of Spekboom which sparked Spekboom for Climate Change is that it acts as a carbon sponge and can remove tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere each year. This impact on reducing our carbon footprint has motivated Call 2 Care to work towards getting as many Spekboom planted in as many areas as possible.